What is Women Build 2018?
Women Build is both a fundraiser and a volunteer recruitment event for our development at 1330 Lake Trail Road, Courtenay.
It is important to point out that with ‘Women Build’ we are not excluding men but, rather, empowering and encouraging women to come out and volunteer on the construction site; because every woman has the power to build community! Make sure to follow our Women Build Facebook group.
You may choose to volunteer, to fundraise, or both!
We have provided you with lots of tips and tools for successful fundraising. Scroll down to learn more.
Women Build is proudly sponsored by:
Volunteer to Build
Put on a hardhat. Pick up a hammer. Build a brighter future.
To volunteer as an individual, follow this link to pre-register on the Volunteer Matrix.
• Please allow about 25 minutes to complete your registration as it requires that you watch a Habitat informational video and a safety orientation video.
• Once you are registered in The Matrix you may visit the Volunteer Calendar to sign up for shifts. We typically build Monday through Friday at Lake Trail. Please email us if you are interested in volunteering on Saturdays.
Women Build is challenging women in the Comox Valley to raise money to support the construction of 10 affordable homes for local families.
Start or join a team, with the challenge to raise a minimum of $1,000 per team or individual, towards affordable homeownership.
Register as an Individual or Join a Team
Create a Team: Click this button to create a Team Page and your own Individual Page as the Team’s Captain. Note that as Team Captain you will have the ability to modify the team page with images and a story. You can also invite others to join the team by setting up their own individual page so that all of their donations will be counted towards the team’s fundraising total!
Join a Team: To join an existing team, go to the “Teams” tab and select the team you wish to join. Once you arrive at the team page, click the “Join Team” button to create your individual page.
If you do not know the name of the team you wish to join, you can click “Find a Team or Fundraiser” and search the name of one of your team members or find them in the “Participants” tab. Once you arrive at their individual page, you can find the team page in the “My Team” section.
The fine print:
• Anyone who fundraises $1,000+ will be offered a dedicated Team Build Day.
• Tax receipts are issued by email for all online donations over $10 and by mail for cash and cheques over $10.
• Fundraising can be through the Canada Helps online platform OR you can collect cash or cheques. Click here to download and print the pledge form.
IMPORTANT: If you have created a team using your legal business name, email, and address, and you wish to make a personal donation and have the official tax receipt in your name, then you must log-in separately, using your personal email. Otherwise, the receipt will be in your company name.
Tips & Tools for Successful FUNdraising:
• Tag us in your posts using #WomenBuildVIN and @HabitatVIN (type the @ sign, and then start typing our name. Our page should pop up under a dropdown).
• Wear a Women Build t-shirt! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange pick-up.
• Post photos of you and your friends/teammates wearing your WB t-shirts and post them on social media. Be sure to use our hashtag.
• Plan a special event to raise funds for Women Build and awareness of Habitat and the need for affordable housing in our community!
• Email friends, family and business colleagues. (Sample emails can be downloaded below.)
Download Women Build Resources:
• PDF of the official Pledge form, for collecting cash and cheques.
Sample Fundraising Email: Not sure what to say when emailing friends about your campaign? Copy-and-paste this sample email, and then personalize it.
• Sample Social Media Posts: Customize these sample posts to use when sharing your fundraising page to Facebook.
• Women Build Facebook cover photo: add it to your personal Facebook, with a link to your fundraising page.
• Women Build ‘Thank You’ graphic: Use it on social media to acknowledge people who support your campaign.
• 8-½ X 11-inch colour poster to display at your office. You can also pick up posters and/or postcards at the Comox Valley ReStore Monday through Friday from 9:00 until 5:00.
Planning a special Women Build Fundraising Event?
We can supply you with Women Build donation boxes, large framed posters on stands, Habitat balloons, t-shirts, pink hard hats, and other materials for the day of your event. We will also promote your special event on social media, to get the message out in the community to ensure it is a success.